
I’m not familiar with Facebook so my terms may not be correct, but I believe myspace is somewhat similar. I imagine a face book for Miss Emily to be quite barren in ornate graphics and photographs. Honestly, she doesn’t seem like she would bother with a face book as it doesn’t seem she cares for friendship or even non-corpse contact, or that she would be technology savvy having refuted my former belief. However, all she has is time on her hands.
I believe her privacy would be set to friends only and that she would not have many of them.
I don’t think she would have any photos up as the process would be overly complicated… but if she could manage, I think she would have just one; It would be the painting of her father and herself.
As for applications I must once again reiterate my opinion that unless the process was greatly facilitated it would be beyond her capability. She does seem like a neopets/ crazy- cat-lady kind of women.
Daddy’s Little Girl’s (Her user name) Wall:
Mayor of Yo Mama: Good ‘morrow Miss Emily, I don’t suppose you have gotten around to paying those taxes of yours have you?
Daddy’s Little Girl: I don’t suppose I have.
Mayor of Yo Mama: …. Right ‘O then. Well Miss Emily you take care and see if you can’t just pay those fees. We could even send someone to pick up your payment.
(Emily didn’t bother to respond)
The reader of a Rose for Emily doesn’t get a single verifiable fact about Miss Emily and so could have a wrong picture of her. As Emily is quoted very little we are left to infer about her traits and inevitably stereotype her as a recluse; we don’t know if she secretly goes out every night to raid the local cemetery or even if Toby wasn’t holding her hostage and blackmailed her. Our only source of information is from an unknown narrator who has gathered his/her information from hearsay of others. As verified by the telephone game (I think it is called Operator; a story is told and passed along by generally grade school adolescents and the information is undoubtedly altered at the end) the facts about Emily’s life have inevitably been distorted. It leaves one contemplating if the dramatic end wasn’t simply added on by the townspeople to fabricate an apparently dull life, and thus story.

No comments:
Post a Comment