Friday, January 30, 2009

I'd Just Like to Mention

I have wasted
your time
that was once
so precious

with prose
that has been
masked
as poetry

However I
will never read
your words
so I laugh

This is exactly how I felt after I had read ‘I Would Just Like to Say’ by William. For someone to be so prolific that their account of Plum thievery is considered poetry is beyond me. My parody of his piece captures the humor of the original and also, what I believe, would have been/ was the reaction of Williams once his note became instilled in an anthology of major poetic works. The irony is that after reading his piece a few more times I actually found it humorous.
I have kept the exact form of the original, almost down to the exact syllables per line. I feel that in the original, the form was used add emphasis to each line as the intended plum less reader would pause at every line, letting the revelation sink in. I have conveyed this exact sentiment to you, the reader who will never get back their… well one minuet. Your minuet of life is mine, forever.

4 comments:

  1. After reading your new version of this poem I felt that I was able to fully understand the original poem . When I first read "I Would Just Like to Say", I was a little bit confused on the meaning behind the context. I guess you can say that I was simply thinking too hard about it. In the end I realized that the author was just trying to state exactly what he said within the content of the actual poem. With your new version of the poem, it also was a direct response to a statement that you wrote about. Overall your poem reflected on the actual original piece and provided a similar structure as to the form.
    Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your approach to this parody of ,"This is Just to Say", is very intresting and creative. When I first read the poem, I too felt that the poem was quite humorous, more of a sarcastic humor, if that. And The structure,stanzas, and mechanics you use, are relatively similar to the original poem. However, feel that in the orignal poem was more of a insenstive apology where I take your poem as being some what cynical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if that poem actually began as a note left for someone whose plums he had swooped on and then just became sort of a humorous cult thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your poem. You have captured the seemingly pointlessness of the original and it provided a better understanding of the original poem. The structure of the poem dos emphasize the insincerity of the apology.

    ReplyDelete